Rights Liberties Justice aim to be a pre-eminent campaigning organisation serving the Liberal Democrat Party and helping with policy formation, and reaching out to promote liberal values in the law.
Our members comprise not only of Legal Executives, Solicitors and Barristers, academics, magistrates, law students and other professionals involved in the law, but also all, who are members of the Liberal Democrat Party interested in law reform.
Members are encouraged to become involved in policy development and discussion. Recent topics have included Brexit and the constitution (obviously), the future of the Good Friday Agreement, civil liberties policy, citizenship education, powers of attorney, Legal Aid and access to justice, sentencing and offender rehabilitation, the legal profession, international law, and many more.
Interested? Read on. I hope you join and participate.
James Sandbach and Andrew Haslam-Jones
Joint-Chairs of Rights Liberties Justice ( Lib Dem Lawyers)
What we do at Rights Liberties Jusitce
- The home for Liberal Democrats interested in issues of rights, liberties and justice.
- Comprises barristers, solicitors, academics, legal executives, law students and other legal professionals, plus others with an interest in the law, who are members of the Liberal Democrats.
- Has members practising and working in all areas of the law, with considerable diversity of legal knowledge and experience.
- Campaigns for liberal values in law reform and for the protection of civil liberties and human rights in the legal system and in our substantive law.
- Contributes to the Liberal Democrats’ policy making through working parties on legal policy and law reform.
- Briefs members of the United Kingdom, European and Scottish Parliaments, the Welsh Assembly and other elected bodies on legal issues.
- Special Affiliated Organisation (SAO) to the Liberal Democrats giving rights to take policy forwards at Conference.
- Responds to government consultations on proposed legislation..
- Organises conferences, lectures and meetings, and fringe events at Federal Conference in Spring and Autumn.
- Issues a regular e-Newsletter
- Holds an excellent annual dinner. The Association’s Annual Dinner is a significant social event, usually held in late January. Members are welcome to bring guests.
- Is a registered CPD provider for relevant event
Recent News and Updates
tanding up for Justice, Democracy and Europe Rights-Liberties-Justice are supporting three events at Spring Conference:
Thank you for that introduction. LG was still MP for C’fon Boroughs when I was born and shortly after he