When : Saturday, February 29, 2020 from 12 Midday (at Horseshoe Inn SE1 3QP & 1pm Bermodsey Village Hall) to 4:30 PM GMT
The successes of the local elections in the Spring of 2019 and the election of a new young leader, led to great hopes that a General Election would Stop Brexit by bringing the Liberal Democrats many more Members of Parliament.
What went wrong? Was it the tactics during and/or immediately before the election campaign or was it something longer term and more profound?
How and why has the phenomenon of populism crossed the Atlantic and is a force across Europe and beyond?
Or was the election a (neo-)Populist Johnson/Cummings/strategy used in the 2016 Referendum re-used to win former Liberal anti-establishment (now Brexit) voters in the West Country and former Labour (now Brexit) voters in the North?
Or was it the culmination of a deeper change in British politics, where the beliefs and allegiances of voters are shifting?
And why are so many drawn to support Brexit and a Right-wing Tory Government, when it appears to be so against their economic interests?
Why is Liberalism, which seeks to empower people, seen by so many as their enemy?
The conference will discuss these and other related topics.
The issues we are going to consider will include:
- What is populism? What is its history? Why is it been so successful? Where is it now? Where is it going?
- How did Liberal Democrats lose the war protest/anti- establishment vote. What has been the impact of populism on the liberal vote?
- Can we just ignore populism?
- What are Liberal Values? What is LibDem core vote?
- Why do our leaders always talk about policies and not values?
- How can we galvanise a Liberal Core vote to vote Liberal Democrat rather than Labour?
- How can we win over one nation Conservative? Is it philosophy or credibility or both?
- How can we win?
*The right is reserved to ask for further information from any particpant and to refuse admission at the organisers absolute discretion.
Whilst payment by cash/cheque will be accepted at the door, it will be taken at the late booking rates